Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Book review time!

I have been reading tons so far this month-- it's been great! I've finished 3 so far... maybe I'll have to modify my goal to read 12 books this year. :) Here's what I read:

-Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. This was a really cute book, recommended (and lended? lent?) to me by my sweet mother-in-law. She's a bookworm like me, except she's really smart, so I trust her recommendations. It's a cute fairy tale about a princess who goes from royalty to peasant and then... well, I won't ruin the ending for you. :) It reminded me of "Ella Enchanted." An easy read and a darling story.

-The Help by Kathryn Stockett. This book was also recommended by Gretchen, and I loved it! It's about two black women working as maids in the homes of white families who decide to share their stories with a white woman publishing a book. The story takes place in Jackson, Mississippi around the Civil Rights Movement. I thought it very fitting that I accidentally finished this book on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!! Great book.

-The 7 Miracles that Saved America by Ted and Chris Stewart. This book was a gift from my parents for Christmas, though neither of them had read it. I was a bit nervous it wouldn't be as much of a page-turner as my last two books, but I found myself unable to put it down... and finished it in 2 days. I learned a lot about some events in history that (I'm embarrassed to say) I never had heard of. The title pretty much explains what it's about, so I won't devulge much more than that.

I need more good recommendations! I've heard "The Actor and the Housewife" also by Shannon Hale is good, but it's checked out at the library right now. Hooray for good books! Thanks to Gretchen and Mom for broadening my horizons.

No comments: