Sunday, February 7, 2010

Christmas, Part Two

I love how it's February and I'm still writing about Christmas... someday I'll catch up with myself.

Part Two:

We crashed into our bed Christmas morning at 6:30. I was anxious to get a move-on and leave the hotel asap, so I got up around 11:00 and showered, hoping to slowly wake Tyler up. :) He had been doing all the driving and I knew he was way more tired than I was. He woke up just before my family called, putting us on the line with Jeff in Prague. It was fun to talk to him, for the 10 minutes that we could. The line somehow disconnected and we couldn't get a hold of him after that. The trip had started out as a surprise, but at that point we had our parents tell everyone what was going on. Surprise ruined.

After laying around for a bit trying to decide whether or not it was safe to go out, we saw a weather report that said the roads were so bad, they said if we didn't have 4WD or chains, we shouldn't even think about it. We decided to stay another night and leave the next morning. More tears, blah blah blah. At that point we were starving, so we walked down the street to Denny's. Oh, the irony. I felt like I was on the movie The Santa Claus. We waited there for an hour, then finally got a table, where we waited over an hour for our food. This meal was a 3-hour ordeal total! There were hundreds if not thousands of people stuck in Wichita Falls, and poor Denny's just couldn't accomodate us all. In fact, they were running out of food. We could only order of one page of the menu-- the truck bringing more food to the restaurant was still stuck on the road. So I got a salad and Tyler had a grand slam. At this point, I was done crying and started to laugh at the situation. We had fun just getting to be together and spend our Christmas together and in a safe place. After eating we went back to the hotel and decided to go work out in the hotel gym. Tyler had given me some really cute exercise clothes for Christmas, and he had brought some along too. We ran on the treadmill and did a little bit of weight-lifting-- it was so fun! My family has a tradition of going on a run every Christmas, so we ran along with them in spirit, from Wichita Falls. :)

By the time we got all cleaned up again, we were ready for dinner. The line at Denny's hadn't calmed down and had, in fact, gotten worse, so we tried the Whataburger a few doors down (for all of you Utahns who have never had Whataburger, go now). They were closed, sadly. We didn't want to wait in line again at Denny's for another sub-quality meal, so we tried the gas station. This is where I realized what a crazy and scary situation we were in. We walked in and the shelves were completely empty. Not empty like, wow they should really re-stock the Cheez-Its, empty like, there is NO food left in this place. They were opening the back store-room and bringing out boxes of chips for people looking for food. We went back to the hotel, hoping they'd at least have something good in a vending machine or something. It was an awesome hotel, and they had a little store called the Candlewood Cupboard, that had drinks and snacky foods in it. So we grabbed quite an assortment of food and took it back to our room. We ended up eating a Cup O'Noodles, string cheese, Ritz Bitz sandwich crackers, and soda. Oh, and I got an ice cream Drumstick for dessert. :) We ate gourmet for Christmas dinner, definitely.

We watched a movie while we ate-- "Monster-In-Law," given to us from Ty's family. We fell asleep that night just happy to be together and to be safe. What a great way to spend Christmas.

The next morning the sun was shining and it was fairly warm outside. We finally got on the road around 10:00, after getting stuck in the parking lot snow twice (no, they still had not plowed the roads... kinda crazy). We were stopped at one point on the road, but we weren't sure why, and it wasn't long. We finished the book "Ender's Game" in that last 8-hour stretch, and arrived at my family's house in Katy around 6:30 pm. We were so relieved to finally be there!

1 comment:

Matt said...

Hey, I notice you visited the hotel gym. Would you mind writing a review at