Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Andersen Family Reunion 2018

I didn't take tons of pictures at our reunion but we had so much fun! Laura and Tom did such a great job planning everything. It was a great balance of planned activities and down time where we could just play and talk. We had almost everyone there and loved being together!

The reunion began Monday afternoon. We all rolled in to the campsite and got settled before we split into two groups for the ropes course. I was in the second group with Harvey so we got to eat lunch and do a little exploring beforehand. The lake (I think it's called Legacy Lake) was gorgeous! I was attempting to take a panoramic picture below and it wasn't working but I like this one anyway.


The deer were so friendly. I saw a few buckets of feed hanging from trees so I think the deer know where to hang out. We even saw a couple babies around and they were so cute.


The second group got there as the first group was finishing and I got to watch Tyler have his turn on the ropes course! It was a cargo net climb, ladder steps, and then a zipline. It was super fun. Millie did it but Max says he will next year haha.


It was so cool that the camp was run by senior missionary couples. They really knew what they were doing and were so kind. It's kind of hard to tell in this picture but little Ian was a bit tangled up and trying to figure out how to get from the net to the ladder steps. This sweet missionary went over and helped him figure it out. We all went outside our comfort zones a little bit and it was so fun. I wasn't expecting to be nervous but those ladder steps are high up and you feel so exposed!


After the ropes course the kids had fun running from cabin to cabin and playing together outside. The adults took turns with kids and played volleyball and spike ball in the sand court. 


We had a big pavilion where we ate our meals and gathered for big group games and stuff. That first night there was a ball being thrown around and Millie got hit in the head. She cried but seemed okay. around midnight (right as I was climbing into bed) she woke up and threw up several times. I think it was a nice combination of being dehydrated, altitude sickness, and maybe a little concussion. She never had a fever or other symptoms, just felt nauseous and had a headache. I changed her bedding and pajamas and put everything outside (what else can you do in the middle of the night while camping??) and went back to bed. A few hours later, the same thing happened. Poor thing. Tuesday was spent taking care of her. I stayed with her and Tyler got to take all the dirty laundry down the mountain to a laundromat in Heber. She slept a lot and wouldn't eat, but was drinking some. 


Harvey went with Grandma on the lake when everyone was canoeing, but Max wanted to stay with me. We colored together for a while and it was nice.


In the afternoon the kids got to decorate their own pillowcases. Max drew Transformers on his, of course. 


Max and cousin Brigham were such cute buddies during the reunion. Briggs had just had his 4th birthday a few days before and had some cool new toys at the reunion. He was so nice to share with Max the whole time.


We went on a little hike around the lake and I had this dude on my back the whole way. 


We stopped at the end where there were lots of great rocks to throw in the lake. The boys had a fun time.


When we got back Millie was feeling well enough to venture out to the pavilion. She decorated her pillowcase with unicorns all over one side, and emojis on the other. Very in line with her current interests!


Got a family picture in our reunion shirts.


The Bakers brought their bumbo for Oliver to sit in at meals and Harvey thought it was the coolest chair. I guess I should bring ours out more often than when he gets a haircut.


Every night there was a gathering of adults in the big kitchen to talk and/or play games. Tyler and I took turns going after the kids were asleep. Kids are great and we love them lots! But I always appreciate the times we get to talk without interruption haha.

Wednesday morning we got another chance to go to the lake! We were so glad since we missed out the day before. It was a gorgeous day. There's something so peaceful about being on a lake. We did paddle boats at first and switched to a canoe for the last half of our time there. Thankfully Millie was feeling well enough to go.




We lingered there for a while and let the kids play in the sand while the rest of us chatted and played volleyball. The older cousins were so cute with Harvey. Someone was always helping him or wanting to play with him.




Max and Eliza were cute buddies too. I saw them sitting on the path and when I asked them what they were doing Eliza said, "Just talking!" 


There were babies all around. Where there were adults playing, there were other adults watching and on kid duty haha.


The first night we did a talent show at an amphitheater near our campsite. The last night we went there again for a testimony meeting. We enjoyed feeling the Spirit and hearing each other share testimony. After the last person had spoken suddenly a little snake slithered across the stage! Leighton ran after it (our resident reptile expert) and the rest of the kids quickly followed. They caught the snake and that was the activity for the rest of the night for them. They waited in line for turns to pet and hold the snake! I believe they named him Striker.


Thursday morning we ate breakfast at a table outside in shifts as we cleaned and packed up. 


It was such a fun week! I'm so thankful for this crazy, awesome, loud, loving family of mine. 



No comments: