Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Buddy ol' pal!

One of the funniest things about my job is dealing with people who don't work here. I see a Fedex guy, a UPS guy, and the USPS woman all at least once a day, sometimes more. Not to mention the paycheck company, our insurance reps, our printer account reps, and contractors! I see a lot of people come in and out multiple times. I have kind of developed interesting relationships with all of these people through our brief-but-frequent interactions, to the point where I can ask how their kids are, how the party they put on last week went, etc. One very important detail is missing, however. I don't know their names!!

It just doesn't come up, ya know? Not sure how to explain it. I do know that it's way too late now to say, "I don't think I know your name. Who are you?" I don't think this (not knowing people's names) will be a problem as far as work interactions go... but I dread the day when I see them in the grocery store and they are there with their spouse and I am with mine and they introduce me, using my name, because they are good people and I'm not (plus, I have to sign for things all the time). When that day comes, I will be forced to introduce them this way: "Tyler, this is my UPS buddy!"

No comments: