Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Crazy Happenings

So today at work, something CRAZY happened. It was around 11:00, and I was going about my normal business at the office-- making Fedex labels, answering the phone, etc. when all of a sudden the power went out. I wasn't totally shocked-- yesterday was pretty stormy, and today was expected to be the same. The emergency lights came on, and luckily the phone was still working, because I was on it. :) A few seconds later, (again, luckily, I had just hung up the phone) the phones went off and one of the guys that works upstairs ran out into the lobby. *Note: The reception desk is in the main lobby on the first floor, but it's open to the second floor. The guy that came out told us to turn and look at the telephone pole. We looked, and it was just like fireworks on the fourth of July! There were sparks and flames on one of the electric things (I'm very knowledgeable about this haha). It was crazy-- I'd never seen something like that before! I went and moved my car because I was parked right under the flaming... electric thing. We called the fire department from a cell phone and they came super-fast... but the flame had already gone out! It seems to always happen that way. Anyway, so then we called the power company and had them come see what was happening. At that point, Wal-Mart, Subway, McDonalds, Wendy's, and the gas station were out of power too. The traffic lights were down as well, so two cops came and were directing traffic. The power people came and then left, apparently to get more parts. They said the problem would be fixed in 1-2 hours. Everyone left to get some lunch (except me, of course-- the receptionist never gets to leave!) and then came back... problem still not fixed. Finally, around 12:30, they sent everyone home-- this time including me!!! So now, I'm home. It's 3:00 on a Tuesday afternoon, and I'm home. What are the odds??

No comments: